- Burner placement or assembly
- Pot or pan size
- Spark module, switch, electrode or igniter malfunction
- Gas supply insufficient or poor quality
- Excessive humidity
- Erratic burner flame issue
- Low or poor burner flame
- Orange or yellow flame
- Pulsating, vibrating or bouncing flame
- Is it normal for a liquid propane (LP) gas appliance to have a tall burst of flame when lit for the first time each day?
Steps to Verify Issue:
For liquid propane (LP) units, an initial tall flame occurs on first start-up of the day due to a build-up of gas and the natural properties of LP. This is normal operation. If flames are consistently high regardless of natural gas or LP gas supply, continue with further troubleshooting:
- Verify unit is connected to and supplied by the proper gas type and pressure. See Wolf Gas Product with the Wrong Gas Type.
- Ensure burner rings and caps are positioned properly. Refer to How to Remove Burner Rings and Caps.
- If the burner cap screws into burner head, ensure it is tightly fastened. See Dual Fuel and Gas Cooktop Burner Cap Assembly Nut.
- Verify an external regulator was not added to the unit. Units come with an internal regulator. Refer to Gas Regulators Included.
- Ensure burners are clean and dry:
- If water spilled over recently or if the unit was recently cleaned, the igniter may be wet.
- Let the unit dry or use a hairdryer to speed up the process.
- If burner continues to click after ignition, or clicks after the burner has been turned off, see Gas Surface Burner Clicking.
- Excessive humidity in the room can lead to orange and yellow flames. This is especially common in the winter months when homeowners use humidifiers to add humidity to the air.
- Construction in the home may cause orange flames due to materials in the air (paint fumes, staining, drywall compound, floor sanding, etc.)
- For additional information, refer to:
Refer to the product installation guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
GET EXPERT SUPPORT, 24/7
Whether you’re shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we’ve got the resources you need. Talk direct to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero and Wolf service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Toll-free (800) 222-7820