- Why is ice production slow?
- Why does the ice bin take so long to fill?
- Slow ice production
- Unit makes ice cubes but very slowly and not very many in a day.
Steps to Verify Issue:
The ice maker inside a freezer will make 8 cubes of ice every 2-3 hours on average, this is considered normal operation. Undercounter Ice Makers produce a batch of ice every 30 minutes or so.
- Depending on specific model, the ice bin may take 1-2 days to fill completely.
- If equipped, turning on the Max Ice feature will increase ice production for a 24-hour period.
If ice production is slower than expected:
- Verify no service messages, icons, or error codes are shown.
- Make sure unit has been turned on for at least 24 hours.
- Confirm freezer temperature is below 5°F.
- Temperatures above 5°F can affect ice maker performance.
- Sub-Zero recommends 0°F freezer temperature.
- Verify unit's condenser has been cleaned within the last 3-6 months. See Clean the Condenser.
- Make sure the ice bin is properly installed.
- For over-and-under units, verify the upper basket is properly installed. If not installed correctly it may sit too high, causing the ice maker to turn off prematurely.
- Verify the ice maker shut-off arm is in the down position.
- Make sure ice maker rudder arm is attached to the shut-off arm.
- Verify the ice maker fill tube is not blocked.
- Make sure there are no obstructions or jammed ice cubes in ice maker assembly.
- Verify no recent plumbing or water pressure issues in home.
- If installed, make sure in-line water filter is not expired.
- For Undercounter, stand alone ice makers, also make sure the unit is properly cleaned and sanitized regularly, see UC-15 and 315 Cleaning Information.
- Refer to Undercounter Ice Maker UC-15I Troubleshooting for more information.
- See also:
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820