- Should the door or drawer on a 500, 600, BI, NGI, 400, or 700 Series unit close on its own?
- Should the door on a 400, 500, 600, BI, NGI, or 700 Series stay open?
- Which interior drawers have the soft close feature?
- Do Sub-Zero interior drawers have a self-close feature?
- When should the refrigerator drawer close by itself?
- Do 200 and 300 Series units have a self-close feature?
Classic (formerly Built-In) Series, Designer (formerly Integrated) Column, and Designer products have soft-close refrigerator drawers. Interior freezer drawers do not have the soft-close feature.
- As the interior refrigerator drawer closes, the soft-close mechanism and drawer slide will catch and close the drawer with a soft-pull action.
- The "catch" of the soft close will be felt once the drawer is within approximately 1" of being closed.
For troubleshooting steps, refer to Sub-Zero Door and Drawer Self-Close Not Working.
- There is no self-close or soft-close feature on 200 or 300 series units.
- There is no self-close or soft-close feature on 648PRO units.
Over/Under and French Door Models
- The refrigerator door has a door closing cam to help close the door.
- For a Classic (BI) model, with the door opened to 110°, the hinge will hold in the open position if the door stops. As you close the door, the cam will take over at about 15° to help close the door.
- For 500, 600, Designer, and 700 Series models, the door cam helps close the door starting at about 45° open.
- Door flexing is possible if a door swings open by itself under its own weight, it may flex a bit more than the maximum opening degree.
- The bottom freezer drawer does not have a soft-close feature.
All Refrigerator, All Freezer, Side-by-Side, and Undercounter Models
- For a Classic (BI) model, with the door opened to 110°, the hinge will hold in the open position if the door is stopped. As you close the door, the hinge will take over at about 15° to help close the door.
- For 500, 600, and 700 Series models, the door cam helps close the door starting at about 45° open.
- For 500, 600, and 700 Series models, freezer baskets and drawers must be manually closed all the way.
- For Undercounter (UC) models, the refrigerator and freezer doors have spring-loaded closure mechanisms. As the doors are closed, the door closure engages to help close and seal the doors.
- Undercounter (UC) models had an upgrade to the closer mechanism in 2014.
- The new type door closer uses magnetic close help to close the door when partially opened.
- For the 400 Series model, with the door opened to 110°, the hinge will hold in the open position if the door is stopped. As you close the door, the hinge will take over at about 15° to help close the door.
- The soft-close feature, found on high-end cabinetry, gives Designer Refrigeration a rich, sturdy feel and noiseless operation.
- It slows down the closing action for smooth operation and helps to make sure the doors close fully.
- See also, Designer Door Self-Close Feature.
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820