- Why is the door hard to close?
- Why do I have to use both hands to close the refrigerator door?
- Door does not close as easily as before?
- Door seems to pop or come open slightly on its own after closing.
- Refrigerator door will not stay shut
- Door is not self-closing like it used to
Steps to Verify Issue:
- If unit is a new installation and there are door closing issues, verify that the unit is properly leveled and installed.
- Check the placement of items inside the unit and move any items that are preventing the door from closing.
- Inspect the door liner, door gasket, door shelves, interior shelves, and interior drawers. Make sure each is in its proper location, properly closed, and not broken, ripped, torn, or bulging to a point that may block door travel.
- Verify nothing prevents the hinge mechanism from closing properly. Remove any obstructions.
- Inspect the door hinge mechanism for any cracks, chips, missing screws, damaged plates, or broken cams.
- Broken hinge components should be replaced by a service technician. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair
- Check for model-specific issues:
- For 600 Series models, see Gallon Door Shelf information.
- For 511, 550, 611 and 650 models, the units have two plastic cams in the lower door hinge. If these cams are damaged, door operation is affected. For over and under 500 or 600 Series units, refer to Refrigerator Door Hinge Cam Replacement for more information.
- For Designer (formerly Integrated) products in a dual installation using the Handle to Handle dual installation kit, the trim provided with the kit must be used or it prevents the door from closing and sealing. For dual installation kit information, refer to Designer Dual Installation Handle to Handle or Dual Drawer.
- If the door continues to be difficult to close after following these steps, service is needed to expertly diagnose and repair the product. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
- See also:
- Sub-Zero Door Easy to Open
- Over-and-Under Freezer Compartment Will Not Open or Close
- Sub-Zero Door and Drawer Self-Closing Operation
- Ice or Frost Build-Up in Freezer
- French Door Model Flipper Seal Does Not Close Properly
- Sub-Zero Designer Door Not Sealing
- Designer Dual Installation Handle to Handle or Dual Drawer
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820