Some details that impact cooking rituals - such as family size - are straightforward. Other factors require more contemplation. Make sure the person who cooks most often gets involved, of course, because any new appliances should reflect his or her point of view.
- How many people do you cook for on a regular basis?
- Is cooking a one-person show? Or are duties shared with additional cooks?
- When you cook, do you like getting in and out of the kitchen fast? Taking your time and enjoying the process? Somewhere in-between?
- What are your specialties or cooking hobbies? (Baking? Canning? Candy-making?)
- What challenges do you face when cooking for your family? (Conflicting schedules? Special diets?)
- How do you shop for groceries? (Do you stop at the market every day? Buy in bulk at a warehouse? Shop every couple of weeks?)
"You may be tempted to ask "What's the best range/refrigerator/oven on the market?" The answer will change based on your daily cooking rituals. Your vacation home may need different appliances than your primary residence, even though the person who does the cooking remains the same."