Mixed Berry Pie
Mixed Berry Pie
BEFORE YOU START:
Make sure to chill the pie dough between steps. Chilled dough will keep its shape better once it goes into the oven and starts to bake.
KEEP SCREEN ON
Yield: Makes 1 Pie
Pie Dough IngredientsYield — top and bottom crust for a 9-inch pie pan
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into ½-inch pieces
6 tablespoons ice water
Pie Filling Ingredients4 cups mixed berry frozen fruit
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cold water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Pie dough preparation method
- Combine the flour, kosher salt, and sugar together, cut the butter into the dry mixture to pea size pieces.
- Add in the ice water and mix until a dough forms.
- This can be done by hand or in a food processor.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times to smooth the dough.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- While waiting, prepare the pie filling below.
- After 1 hour, divide the dough in half and roll out top and bottom crust to fit a 9-inch pie shell.
Pie filling preparation method
- Combine the fruit, sugar, and ¼ cup of water in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together the 3 tablespoons of water and cornstarch to make a slurry
- Once the fruit comes to a simmer, add the cornstarch slurry and cook the mixture until the juice thickens — about 7 minutes.
- Add in the ½ cup of sugar, kosher salt, and lemon juice and simmer another 4 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cool the mixture completely before filling the pie crust.
Pie assembly method
- Place bottom crust into pan and trim the edges to ¼-inches from the pie pan.
- Fill with the cooled mixed berry filling and add top crust.
- Trim edges of top crust to ¼-inch and pinch the top and bottom crust together, roll under and crimp the crust around the edge of the pie pan.
- To bake the pie use Gourmet Mode and select “Baked Goods”, “Pie”, “Double Crust”.
- Follow the instructions provided in the pop-up dialog boxes.
- Once the oven has preheated to 425°F place the pie in the oven.
- After 15 minutes the oven will turn down automatically to 350°F.
- Once it does, set a timer and bake the pie for 50–60 minutes more.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool and set completely before serving.