Using Aluminum Foil in a Microwave
- Is it safe to use aluminum foil in a microwave?
- What precautions should be taken when using aluminum foil in a microwave?
When using aluminum foil in the microwave oven, use small amounts and have it carefully placed. Some general rules:
- Use new, smooth foil only. Wrinkled foil can cause arcing (sparks).
- Cover no more than 1/4 of the food with foil. Shape the foil smoothly to the food so no edges stick out. It makes no difference which side of foil (shiny or dull) is facing out. Do not place the foil closer than one inch from the oven walls.
- If the microwave oven has metal shelves OR a metal turntable, do not microwave food in foil containers or metal pans, and do not let foil used for shielding touch or be close to the shelves or turntable.
- If you see arcing (sparks), immediately remove the foil shielding; transfer frozen food from foil container to a microwave-safe dish. Refer to Selecting Microwave Safe Dishes for additional information.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820