- Faulty door gasket
- Air leaking into the unit from somewhere
- Improper defrost
- Air circulation issue
- Sealed system issue
- Why is ice forming on the back wall of the refrigerator?
- Why is ice forming on the floor of the refrigerator?
- Why is ice forming at the back of the crisper shelf assembly?
- Why is there ice behind the refrigerator drawers?
Steps to Verify Issue:
- Open the refrigerator door, inspect the unit door gasket and if it is ripped, torn, or damaged; replace it using Door Gasket Replacement Instructions.
- Contact a Factory Certified Parts Distributor to order parts.
- Remove door obstructions that may prevent a proper seal and make sure the door closes all the way.
- Check the set temperatures are at or near 38°F in the refrigerator, 00°F in the freezer, or 4-6 if the unit has a dial control.
- Clean the Condenser if it has not been done in the last 6 months. It could take up to 24 hours for the unit to respond once the condenser is clean.
- For model 648PRO or PRO48 see also 648PRO Refrigerator Evaporator Icing Up.
- Address Error Code messages if present on the display.
- For heavy icing, turn off the unit and use a hairdryer on low to remove the ice.
- Remove the crisper drawer and crisper shelf assembly; if equipped, then remove all lower storage drawers.
- If ice is in the crisper area, a drain issue is more likely than if the frost is in the shelf area.
- Food debris, standing water, or ice built-up in the drain trough or drain tube located along the back wall may cause this if the drain tube is clogged.
- The drain trough and drain tube will only be visible on a 200, 300, 500, or 600 Series, see 200 300 500 600 Series Refrigerator Drain Tube Cleaning.
- For 400 Wine Storage, 700 Series, 648PRO, and Built-In (BI) Series refer to Drain Tube Cleaning (BI-700-400-648PRO Series.
Ice or frost on the back wall of a refrigerator is often caused by warm air leaking into the unit, or a clogged drain tube. If ice or frost returns after following the above steps, no further troubleshooting advice is available. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
DID THIS ANSWER SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
GET EXPERT SUPPORT, 24/7
Whether you’re shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we’ve got the resources you need. Talk direct to a customer care expert at our factory, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Toll-free (800) 222-7820