- What dishes are safe for use in a microwave?
- What dishes are not safe or unsafe for use in a microwave?
- Convection microwave safe cookware
- Speed Oven safe cookware
Microwave Safe Dishes
- Glass-ceramic ware and heatproof glass ware are safe in the microwave oven.
- Oven cooking bags, paper products, baskets made of straw and wood (without metal), wax paper, parchment paper, and vented plastic bags are all safe to use in the microwave.
Materials Unsafe in the Microwave
- Cold storage containers (ie: margarine tubs, cottage cheese, yogurt cartons). These materials are not approved for cooking, and chemicals can migrate into food.
- Brown paper bags and newspapers.
- Metal pans.
- Foam-insulated cups, bowls, plates, or trays.
- China with metallic paint or trim.
- Take-out containers with metal handles.
- Metal twist ties on package wrapping.
- Food cooked in any container or packaging that has warped or melted during heating.
- Ceramic mugs: Some ceramic mugs are not safe because their paints contain materials that attract microwaves and cause the mug to get too hot, even though the producers of these products indicate that the mug or product is safe in the microwave oven.
- Melamine: The return of melamine plastic dishware to common use is a large concern. Melamine is a hard plastic that has been around for decades, is cheap, and is usually very attractive for place setting or for displaying food. DO NOT USE IT IN THE MICROWAVE OVEN. It has a warning on the bottom, but because it looks like most plastics, consumers assume it is like all the others.
Dish Safety Test
- Put one cup of water in a glass measuring cup into the microwave oven with (but not touching) the container to test.
- Microwave on high 1 minute.
- Check if the cooking container feels warm or hot, it is not microwave safe because it contains metal in the material or glaze. Do not use it in the microwave. The container and/or the bottom of the oven might crack if microwaved.
Convection Microwave Convection Mode ONLY
- Any cookware that works in an oven will work for the Convection Only mode in Convection Microwaves.
- Convection Only mode is the only mode that all oven safe cookware can be used in. All other modes are a Microwave/Convection mix or Microwave only.
- In Microwave/Convection mixed modes, only containers listed above for standard microwave use are safe to use.
- Glass, cookware, and 9"x13" aluminum pans all work well.
- Do not cover cookware, lids block the air heat and advantages of using Convection mode.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820