Apple Tarte Tatin
Apple Tarte Tatin
KEEP SCREEN ON
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of a heavy 10” round cake pan or sauté skillet.
- Set aside.
For the caramel:
- In 2-quart sauce pan on Wolf cooktop over medium high heat, combine butter, sugar, corn syrup and water with a heat-resistant spatula.
- Stirring constantly, heat until the mixture liquefies.
- Continue to heat just 1 minute longer and immediately remove from the heat.
- Mixture will be dark amber brown.
- Pour into buttered pan and set aside.
- Position oven rack to oven position 3.
- Preheat Wolf oven on BAKE at 400°F.
- Core apple by slicing knife vertically from top to bottom on either side of the core.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 sides of the apple.
- There will be 2 large sides and 2 small sides of apple.
- Discard core.
- Repeat with all apples.
- Arrange the larger pieces over the surface of the caramel in the cake pan.
- Arrange the remaining apple sides over and around the larger pieces.
- Place pan in center of baking sheet in center of oven for 50 minutes, or until apples are tender.
For the pastry:
- Lightly flour a countertop and gently unfold puff pastry sheet.
- Roll out edges to make a 10-inch square.
- Prick the pastry surface 30 times, creating small holes over the surface of the pastry.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap.
- Place in Sub-Zero refrigerator until needed.
- After apples are tender, gently slide the pastry over the apples and tuck in sides of pastry around apples.
- Place in oven and bake another 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- When tart is done, remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place a 12” to 14” flat serving platter, top side down, over the tart.
- Invert the tart onto the platter, being very careful of hot caramel.
- Allow the pan to sit upside down on the platter for a couple of minutes.
- Remove pan.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.