KEEP SCREEN ON
Yield: 6 SERVINGS
Cook Time: 3½-4 Hours
INGREDIENTS1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, whole
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
¼ teaspoon adobo sauce
3 pound pork shoulder
12 ounces beer, such as a Pacífico pilsner or Corona lager
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1 orange
Warm tortillas, for serving
Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F Roast Mode with a rack set at position “2.”
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven, combine onion, garlic, jalapeño, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce.
- Gently pat pork shoulder dry and trim off any excess fat. Cut into three or four pieces.
- Season with spice mixture, using it all. Add seasoned pork into the Dutch oven.
- Pour beer, lime juice, and orange juice over pork. Cover Dutch oven with lid.
- Roast in the oven for 3½–4 hours or until completely tender.
- When cooked through, remove pork from Dutch oven and place it on a large baking pan. Shred pork using two forks and spread into an even layer.
- Pour ½ cup of remaining braising liquid evenly over the shredded pork.
- Set oven to Broil Mode—High with a rack set at position “5.” Broil pork until edges brown.
- Serve with warm tortillas and top with fresh cilantro.