KEEP SCREEN ON
Yield: Makes 15 Puffs
Cook Time: 15-18 Minutes
Ingredients5 tablespoons butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup sliced scallions
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 ounces feta, crumbled
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
2 packages frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°F Convection Mode with a rack set at position “3.” Melt 1 tablespoon of butter with olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add scallions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and pour scallions into a small work bowl.
- Add spinach, feta, dill, nutmeg, and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- Remove the thawed phyllo from the package and unroll, leaving all the sheets still in a single stack.
- Cut the phyllo stack with a pizza cutter into 3 long strips.
- Cover the phyllo with a towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Peel the layers apart and lay 4 strips down on the counter.
- Brush with melted butter and top with another layer of phyllo. Brush this layer also.
- Place a small amount of filling in the corner nearest you and fold the phyllo over onto itself, making right triangles along its length (like folding a flag). Repeat with remaining strips of phyllo.
- Brush the folded triangles with melted butter.
- Place spanakopita on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until golden brown about 15–18 minutes.