This small but flavorful appetizer perfectly captures the zesty spirit of Greek food and will surely get the party started for you and your guests.
Yield: Makes 15 Puffs
Ingredients1/2 pound baby spinach
4 ounces feta, crumbled
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
2 packages frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
4 tablespoons melted butter
- Spread the spinach on the perforated pan and place inside the steam oven. select the steam mode set to 210°f. set the timer for 5 minutes.
- remove the steamed spinach and place in ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- after the spinach has cooled, remove the spinach and grasping small handfuls, squeeze to remove as much water as possible. set aside.
- melt butter with olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- add the scallions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- remove the pan from the heat and pour the scallions into a small work bowl.
- add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- melt remaining 1⁄4 stick of butter in a small saucepan.
- remove the thawed phyllo from the package and unroll, leaving all the sheets still in a single stack.
- cut the phyllo stack with a pizza cutter into 3 long strips.
- cover the phyllo with a towel to prevent it from drying out.
- peel the layers apart and lay 4 strips down on the counter.
- brush with butter and top with another layer of phyllo. brush this layer also.
- place a small amount of filling in the corner nearest you and fold the phyllo over onto itself, making right triangles along its length (like folding a flag). repeat with remaining strips of phyllo.
- place spanakopita on the solid pan lined with parchment paper and into the oven on rack position 2. select the more gourmet mode and choose fresh appetizers – lightly browned. cook until the oven turns off automatically or the desired browning is reached.