BEFORE YOU START: Make sure to spray the perforated convection steam oven pan to prevent sticking.
KEEP SCREEN ON
- In a small pan, heat the milk and butter until warm. Pour the melted butter and milk into the mixing bowl of a stand mixer.
- Combine the rest of the dough ingredients and knead on medium low speed until smooth, about 8 minutes.
- Form into a ball, place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the convection steam oven to 375 °F on the Convection Steam Mode.
- Combine the baking soda and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Gently roll each piece of dough into a ball. Place each ball of dough into the boiling solution.
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes, turning the balls over after 1 minute.
- Remove dough using a slotted spoon and place on a plate.
- Generously spray the perforated pan with cooking spray. Evenly space the 12 portions of dough on the pan.
- Brush the rolls with the egg wash and score the top of each bun with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.
- Place the pan into the preheated oven on rack position 2 and bake until the pretzels are well browned, approximately 10-12 minutes.