- Freezer door left ajar
- Freezer drain tube frozen
- Torn gasket
- Defrost element failure
- Ice maker not filling properly
- How to manually defrost the freezer section
- Ice or frost building up inside top area of freezer section
- Ice on back wall of the freezer
- What can cause frost in the freezer of a Sub-Zero unit?
- Freezer shelves, drawers, bins have condensation or fog or are freezing over
- Freezer basket or drawer rails frozen over
- Moisture in freezer
Steps to Verify Issue:
For any frost or ice build-up in a Sub-Zero freezer, follow these steps:
- Verify the door was not left ajar for a period of time.
- Some condensation inside a unit or on the shelving or drawers is normal if the door is opened or left open for a period of time. See Excessive Moisture or Condensation for details.
- In warm climates, this will be noticeable more quickly.
- Keep the door closed, and fogging will resolve on its own.
- Remove anything obstructing the door from closing.
- Inspect door gaskets for tears, rips, or dry rot. Replace if damaged.
- See Sub-Zero Door Gasket Replacement for more information.
- Verify the freezer basket retainers are not broken for Classic (Formerly Built-In) and 600 Series units. Refer to 600 and Classic Series Over Under Freezer Basket Retainers for more information.
- Clean the condenser if not done in the last three months.
- Check setpoint temperatures for the compartment. See Measuring Temperatures in a Refrigerator or Freezer.
- On an electronic control panel, the recommended freezer temperature is 0° F.
- For a dial control, set the dial between 4 and 6. 1 is warmest, and 10 is coldest.
- If the drain tube is frozen, see:
- Defrost the freezer. See Manually Defrost a Sub-Zero for instructions.
- Wait 24 hours for the unit to return to normal temperatures and frost to clear after correcting any of the above.
- See also:
If these steps do not resolve the issue, no further troubleshooting advice is available. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820