Before You Start
It is best to use a couple of different kinds of baking apples, as they will each lend their own flavors and nuances to the dish.
1. In a large bowl, combine all the pie crust ingredients.
2. Crumble lightly together until well combined.
3. Mix in the cold water and bring the dough together with a fork.
4. Divide the dough into two pieces and set one back in the bowl. Cover with a damp towel.
5. Roll out the first piece of dough on a generously floured surface until about 1⁄8 inch thick, or large enough to cover the bottom and side of a pie pan.
6. Place the rolled-out dough in a pie plate or dish.
7. In another bowl, combine apple mixture ingredients.
8. Pour the apple mixture into the prepared pie dish. Place the 2 tablespoons of butter on top of the apple mixture in small pieces.
9. Roll out the remaining dough into a top crust and place on top of the pie. Crimp the edges of the pie and cut off any excess dough.
10. Cut a few small vent slots in the top of the crust.
11. Place on the wire rack set on position 2. Select the Auto Steam Bake Mode set to 440°F. Set the timer for 30 minutes.
12. After 30 minutes, open the oven and rotate the pie.
13. Reduce the temperature to 400°F and set the timer for 20 minutes.
14. After 20 minutes, remove the pie and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 45 minutes before serving.