BEFORE YOU START: Silicone baking mats are a great way to prevent the nuts from sticking to the baking tray as you roast them.
KEEP SCREEN ON
- Preheat the oven to 350°F on Roast Mode with racks set on positions 1 and 3.
- Use a Silpat®/silicone baking mat in a baking tray or spray a nonstick baking tray with pan spray.
- Spread the pecans into a single large layer on the pan.
- Place them in the oven on the rack at position 3.
- Roast the pecans for 7–8 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the pecans from the oven.
- In a medium bowl mix the brown sugar, water and pepper until well combined.
- Toss pecans with sugar mixture then return them to the baking tray, spreading them into a single layer.
- Place the pan back into the oven on rack position 1.
- Roast the pecans for 8 minutes stirring halfway through.
- Remove the pecans from the oven and in a clean medium size bowl, toss pecans with kosher salt.
- Pour the pecans onto a piece of parchment paper or onto a clean baking tray and allow to cool. Be careful as the liquid sugar coating the pecans is hot! The nuts will harden as they cool.
- Allow to fully cool before serving.