KEEP SCREEN ON
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
Sauce Ingredients1 medium eggplant, peeled, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 (28-ounce) can Italian tomato puree or tomato sauce
1 (28-ounce) can Italian crushed tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) box manicotti shells
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup basil pesto, optional
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
To make the sauce:
- In a large saucepan over high heat on Wolf rangetop, sauté eggplant and red pepper in olive oil, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is very soft.
- Add onion, garlic, salt and black pepper.
- Cook until onion is soft.
- Add basil and all tomatoes to the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and gently simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
To make the pasta:
- In large stockpot over high heat on Wolf rangetop, bring 6 quarts salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and boil for 5 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Set aside.
To make the filling:
- Reserve 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Combine all remaining ingredients.
- Place mixture into a pastry bag with no tip and pipe mixture into the cooked and cooled manicotti shells.
- Position the oven rack to Rack 5 (from the bottom).
- Preheat Wolf oven in CONVECTION BAKE at 350°F (177°C).
- Lightly coat the bottom of 13x9-inch baking pan with olive oil.
- Place about two-thirds of sauce on bottom.
- Lay filled manicotti on top of the sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce on top of manicotti.
- Top with reserved mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and place in oven.
- Bake 50 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and remove foil.
- Change cooking mode to BROIL 1.
- Place pan in oven and broil about 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.