A light, flaky pie crust takes patience, precision, and very cold butter. Gourmet Mode ensures the crust turns out just right by adjusting temperature and modes throughout the baking process. No risk of soggy bottoms here.
KEEP SCREEN ON
Yield: ONE 9 - INCH PIE
Cook Time: 65-75 Minutes
Dough - Yields top and bottom crust2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into ½-inch pieces
6–8 tablespoons ice water
Filling6½–7 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch, potato starch, or all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom; optional
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
To make crust
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add butter to dry ingredients and cut until pea-size pieces form.
- Add ice water and mix by hand or in a food processor until dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until dough comes together into a smooth ball.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the pie filling.
- Once chilled, divide dough in half. Roll bottom pie crust into a 12-inch circle, gently lifting the dough into the plate. Do not stretch or press out the dough to fit the plate. This can cause the dough to shrink while baking. Roll top pie crust to fit the top of 9-inch shell, leaving enough room to trim and pinch the top and bottom crust together later. Refrigerate both the top and bottom crusts, separately, until filling is ready.
To make filling
- Peel peaches with a paring knife. Alternatively, gently place whole peaches into a pot of boiling water for 45–60 seconds. Remove and immediately plunge into a bowl of ice water; the skins should then easily slide off.
- Halve peaches, remove pits, and cut into ¼-inch slices to make 6½–7 cups. Add peaches to a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add sugars, cornstarch, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla; toss to combine until there are no dry streaks of cornstarch remaining.
To assemble and bake pie
- Remove pie plate and top crust from the refrigerator. Add filling evenly to the bottom crust. Top with crust; trim edges ½ inch beyond the rim of the pie plate. Pinch the top and bottom crusts together.
- Place pie on a foil-lined baking sheet and place into cold oven with a rack set on position “3.” Select Gourmet Mode and choose Baked Goods, Pie, and then Double Crust. Bake until pie is bubbling, peaches are tender, and crust is golden and browned, about 65–75 minutes. If the top or edges of the pie crust are darkening too quickly, tent with foil.
- Remove pie from the oven and let cool completely, 3–4 hours.