- When the freezer does not smell bad, the water supply to the unit is the cause.
- Water goes through plastic tubing in the unit, so the unit does not cause bad-tasting ice or water.
- Why do ice cubes taste bad?
- Why do ice cubes smell?
- Why does water taste bad?
- Why does water smell?
- What can be done to fix bad tasting ice cubes or water?
Steps to Verify Issue:
- Resolve any odors coming from the freezer section.
- Clean the freezer thoroughly using soap and water.
- Place coffee grounds, charcoal briquettes, baking soda, or crumpled newspaper in the freezer to absorb odor.
- Verify there are no recent plumbing or water pressure issues in the home.
- Construction in or around the house can allow debris to enter the water supply.
- This requires a plumber to purge the water supply.
- If needed, Factory Certified Service can purge the water supply within the unit.
- Odors may also enter the water reservoir, which requires the reservoir removal, cleaning, and/or replacement by Factory Certified Service in more extreme circumstances. NOTE: The reservoir is for the water dispenser only and does not affect the ice maker.
- Consult with a local plumber to inspect the water supply line.
- If installed, make sure the in-line water filter is not expired.
- Verify no service messages, icons, or error codes appear.
- Ice cubes produced from filtered water may have a "different" taste than nonfiltered water.
- Using a plastic ice tray, manually make a batch of ice using tap water.
- If the ice tastes/smells the same and the home water supply is the source, consult with a local plumber for resolution.
- If the ice tastes/smells different, install a water filter bypass plug or turn on the water filter bypass feature.
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, no further troubleshooting advice is available. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820