Sub-Zero Automatic Defrost Operation
- Does a Sub-Zero unit have to be manually defrosted?
- When does a Sub-Zero unit defrost?
- Is there an automatic defrost feature on a Sub-Zero?
Sub-Zero refrigerator and freezer sections have an automatic defrost feature and should not require manual defrosting under normal operating conditions.
Defrost duration varies by product. Older products have a set defrost duration, and units with electronic controls have an adaptable defrost. See below for more information:
- 600, 700, Classic Series (BI), Designer Series (IT, IC, ID), UC Undercounter, and 648PRO units:
- Freezer section is controlled by an energy-saving adaptive defrost system and defrosts as needed.
- Refrigerator section will defrost during each off cycle of the refrigerator compressor.
- 200/300 and 500 Series units:
- Freezer section automatically defrosted based off compressor runtime.
- Depending upon model, compressor runtime ranged from 6 hours 21 minutes, 12 hours, or 24 hours.
- Refrigerator section did not have an automatic defrost feature. Defrosting should not be required under normal operation.
- For units with electronic controls, the temperature change during defrost will not show as a rise in temperature on the display since it only provides an average temperature over time.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820