Sub-Zero Generator Considerations
- Can Sub-Zero products run on a generator?
- Storm or other issue caused power outage and only power to home is by generator or inverter
- New construction installing a generator for times of power outage and trying to size it accordingly for appliances in the home
- When connecting a Sub-Zero to a generator, what is the starting amperage?
- Is it best to put a Sub-Zero unit on a generator or shut it off during a power outage?
- Will using a generator harm a product?
Sub-Zero products are not designed to operate properly on long-term, generator-supplied power. If possible, turn the product off at the circuit breaker until full power is restored to the home.
- In some situations, it is acceptable to operate Sub-Zero products for a short time on generator power.
- However, if the generator is not properly sized, it could harm the Sub-Zero.
- See also, Food Storage in a Sub-Zero Refrigerator Without Power.
Consider a minimum 2800 watt generator.
- A unit with two compressors can draw close to 24 amps.
- The electrical supply, whether wall outlet, generator, or inverter, must be able to supply the required current at some minimum voltage in order to start the compressor(s).
- Units can require significantly more power to start than they require to stay running.
Electrical Supply Requirements
An electrical supply for Sub-Zero refrigerators, freezers, and wine chillers must have the following characteristics:
- 115/125 volts AC power, 60 Hz output
- Ability to start unit with one or two compressors
- Ability to deliver 104 volts AC power minimum continuously
Sub-Zero products do not have a surge protector built into them. However, the control boards are durable, so typically they do not need surge protection.
- Units are designed to turn back on when power is restored. A surge protector, AFCI, or GFCI may prevent power being restored to the unit.
- Therefore, the unit may stay off after a power outage.
- Consult with an electrician for the best recommendation if you are in an area that has a lot of storms or power outages.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820