Food Storage in a Sub-Zero Refrigerator Without Power
- Should a Sub-Zero be turned off during a power outage?
- How long does food last during a power outage?
- What to do with food in a brownout or blackout
- Food safety guidelines without cooling during a power outage
- How to prepare for a power interruption
- Safe food storage temperatures
- Can dry ice be used in a refrigerator?
The amount of time that food will last in a Sub-Zero during a power outage depends on different factors, such as amount of food in the refrigerator, outside temperature, and type of food being stored.
- In an empty Sub-Zero refrigerator, it typically takes 3 hours before air temperatures rise above 45°F (7°C) in a refrigerator section and 20°F (-6°C) in a freezer.
- If the Sub-Zero refrigerator contains food, it will take longer for the temperature to rise depending on the type and amount of food stored.
Temperature and food safety guidelines:
- If a product warms to 42°F (5°C) in the refrigerator section, do not keep it.
- If food in the freezer rises above 20°F (-6°C), do not refreeze it.
- Refer to Food and Water Safety during Power Outages and Floods for additional food safety information from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Keep the door to any refrigerator or freezer closed as much as possible when power is lost or a drop in voltage to power supply system (brownout) occurs.
- Add dry ice or bags of ice to prolong the life of the food. Dry ice should be placed in the unit in a separate container.
- Cool hot food safely first before storing. If a large amount of very hot food is placed in a refrigerator, it can raise the temperature of other foods significantly (ex. large pot of hot soup).
- If a planned power outage is scheduled, the unit can be turned off ahead of time to prevent any power fluctuations that could cause damage.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820