Sub-Zero Ice Maker Does Not Make Ice
- Ice maker not making enough ice
- No ice production
- Ice maker not working with the ice bin removed
- Ice maker troubleshooting
- Ice maker does not make ice or ice maker does not start
- Possible jammed ice cube
- Low water pressure
- Frozen ice maker fill tube
- Warm freezer temperature
- Water valve energized longer than fifteen seconds
- If you know which product you have, specific ice maker troubleshooting is available by product line. To find the model number, refer to Sub-Zero Serial Tag Locations.
- After turning on the product and the ice maker, wait 24 hours for ice production. It may take this long to see ice cubes in the ice bin since the freezer must first cool to temperature, then the ice cubes form and drop into the bucket.
- Verify the ice maker is turned on. See specific product instructions below or the use and care guide for turning the ice maker on or off:
- Warm freezer temperatures impact ice maker performance. Confirm the freezer temperature is at or below 5°F. Sub-Zero recommends 0°F freezer temperature setting. See also, Sub-Zero Refrigerator and Freezer Temperature Settings.
- If the freezer temperature is higher than 5°F, see Warm Freezer Troubleshooting.
- Clean the condenser if it was not cleaned in the past 6 - 12 months. See Clean the Condenser for instructions.
- Reseat the water filter on the product if one is present. Turn power off, remove the water filter, and install the filter again. See how-to information for your specific filter:
- If an inline home water filter is installed, see if the filter expired or needs replacement. See Inline Water Filters. See also, Sub-Zero Does Not Have a Water Filtration System.
- Confirm good water pressure to the unit. See How to Confirm Water Pressure.
- Make sure that the ice bin is properly installed by making sure it is level and seated in place. On some models, the ice bin presses the ice maker switch. This varies from model to model.
- Verify ice maker shut-off arm is in the down position.
- Turn the unit off, and if the arm is up, push down gently. The ice maker arm only moves an inch. See also, Ice Maker Control Arm Will Not Lower.
- Verify the ice maker white plastic rudder arm is attached to the shut-off arm and reattach if needed. If broken or cracked, replace the ice maker shut-off arm.
- Make sure the water supply to the unit is turned on. Refer to Water Line Shut-Off Valve Location for details. Examples shown are in the OFF position.
- Verify the ice maker is free of obstructions or jammed ice cubes.
- It may be necessary to defrost the freezer to clear the ice maker. Refer to Manually Defrost a Sub-Zero for instructions.
- Verify the ice maker water fill tube is not blocked. See Ice Maker Fill Tube Frozen.
- After freeing obstructions, turn the unit off, then on again to reset.
- If ice production stops often with the use of a reverse osmosis system or well water, a pressure booster or regulator may improve performance. Contact the reverse osmosis provider or speak with a plumber for suggestions.
- See also, Sub-Zero with Reverse Osmosis Water System.
- Let 24 hours pass, and then check for ice cubes in the ice bin.
- If these troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue, service is necessary to expertly diagnose and repair the product. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
- Ice Maker YouTube Videos - instructs how to remove/install white plastic rudder arm
- Model-specific troubleshooting:
- Production issues:
- Ice issues:
- Capacity information:
Note: When the ice maker is turned on, water may not flow into it immediately.
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820