Sub-Zero Ice Maker Does Not Make Ice
- Possible jammed ice cube
- Low water pressure
- Frozen ice maker fill tube
- Warm freezer temperature
- Water valve energized longer than fifteen seconds
Product-Specific Troubleshooting for Sub-Zero Ice Makers
For the most applicable information, first determine your product model by referring to the serial tag. To locate the serial tag, refer to Sub-Zero Serial Tag Locations.
General Troubleshooting for Sub-Zero Ice Makers
If model is unknown or not listed above, follow the steps below to determine if service is necessary.
1. Appliance Settings
- After turning on the product and the ice maker, wait 24 hours for ice production. It may take this long to see ice cubes in the ice bin since the freezer must first cool to temperature, then the ice cubes form and drop into the bucket.
- Verify the ice maker is turned on.
- Confirm the freezer temperature is at or below 5°F.
- Sub-Zero recommends 0°F freezer temperature setting. See also, Sub-Zero Refrigerator and Freezer Temperature Settings.
- If the freezer temperature is higher than 5°F, see Warm Freezer Troubleshooting.
- Clean the Condenser if it was not cleaned in the past 6 - 12 months.
- Make sure that the ice bin is properly installed so that it is level and seated in place. On some models, the ice bin presses the ice maker switch.
2. Water Supply
- Reseat the water filter on the product if one is present. Turn power off, remove the water filter, and install the filter again:
- How to Replace Twist-In Water Filter
- How to Replace Push-In Water Filter
- Sub-Zero Does Not Have a Water Filter for a list of which models have water filters
- If an Inline Water Filter is installed in the home, see if the filter expired or needs replacement.
- If ice cubes are small or hollow, water pressure may be low. Contact a local plumber for additional assistance. See How to Confirm Water Pressure for suggested pressure ranges.
- Make sure the water supply to the unit is turned on. Refer to Water Line Shut-Off Valve Location for details. Examples shown are in the OFF position.
- If ice production stops often with the use of a reverse osmosis system or well water, a pressure booster or regulator may improve performance. Contact the reverse osmosis provider or speak with a plumber for suggestions.
- See also, Sub-Zero with Reverse Osmosis Water System.
3. Ice Maker
- Verify ice maker shut-off arm is in the down position. Refer to Ice Maker Control Arm Will Not Lower for images.
- Turn the unit off, and if the arm is up, push down gently. The ice maker arm only moves an inch.
- Verify the ice maker white plastic rudder arm is attached to the shut-off arm and reattach if needed. If broken or cracked, replace the ice maker shut-off arm.
- Ice Maker YouTube Videos - instructs how to remove/install white plastic rudder arm
- Verify the ice maker is free of obstructions or jammed ice cubes.
- It may be necessary to defrost the freezer to clear the ice maker. Refer to Manually Defrost a Sub-Zero for instructions.
- Verify the ice maker water fill tube is not blocked. See Ice Maker Fill Tube Frozen.
- After freeing obstructions, turn the unit off, then on again to reset. Let 24 hours pass, and then check for ice cubes in the ice bin.
- If these troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue, service is necessary to expertly diagnose and repair the product. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
- Sub-Zero Does Not Make Enough Ice
- Sub-Zero Ice Maker Makes Too Much Ice
- Ice Production after Bucket Removal
- Blue or Green Ice Cubes or White Flecks in Ice
- Ice Clumping Together in Ice Bin
- Sub-Zero Ice Maker Ice Block or Water Leaking
- Sub-Zero External Ice Dispenser Not Working
- Sub-Zero Classic (BI) Internal Ice Dispenser Not Working
- Sub-Zero Fixing a Broken Dispenser Ice Bin
- Ice Production and Ice Bin Capacity
- UC-24CI Ice Production and Bucket Capacity
- Undercounter Ice Maker 315I Ice Production and Capacity
Note: When the ice maker is turned on, water may not flow into it immediately.
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
Genuine parts for Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove products are available by calling the Factory Certified Parts Distributor in your area. Only filters and cleaners are available for online purchase in the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove Store. Other parts are not available for purchase online. Use Locator to find the Parts Distributor for your area.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820