Sooting is an indication of incomplete combustion, which occurs when fuel is not efficiently and completely burned. Common causes of sooting include, but are not limited to:
- Cleanliness, placement, and alignment of burner assembly parts
- Gas quality: LP and natural gas have different qualities, which can affect performance and sooting
- Gas pressure
- Gas regulator, valve, manifold, orifice
- Burner assembly or element
- Air and fuel mixture adjustments
- Restricted airflow
- Gas oven is sooting
- Soot accumulation after oven use
- What causes soot?
- List of components included with 817731 or 817732
- Instruction sheet number 801617 or 801618
Steps to Verify Issue:
Impurities from manufacturing or installation may cause soot during first use as they burn off. This may occur during first use or when a product gas type is converted.
- Clean soot with hot water and a mild detergent. This is best practice for first time oven use as well.
- Rinse and dry with a soft cloth to remove residual oil and grease left on the surface from the manufacturing process. Refer to the product use and care guide for further information.
- Verify proper fuel type, connection, and supply pressure are correct if possible.
- Ensure the surface burner rings and caps (as applicable) are clean and properly installed.
- If unit is connected to an LP gas source, LP gas properties may produce soot as the tank level decreases. If tank level is near empty, fill the LP tank.
Refer to the product installation guide for further information.
If these steps do not resolve the issue, no further troubleshooting advice is available. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820