Humidity, Temperature, Vibration, and Sunlight Affect Wine
- What is the ideal storage temperature or humidity level for wine?
- How does direct sunlight, humidity, vibration, and temperature affect wine?
- Is the humidity level in a Sub-Zero adjustable?
Several factors can affect the quality of Wine Storage. Some of the more common factors are:
- Excessive humidity will not damage wine, but can cause labels and cardboard boxes to rot.
- Insufficient humidity may cause the corks to dry out and shrink, allowing air to enter the bottle.
- The average humidity level of Sub-Zero units is not available.
- The Sub-Zero humidity level is not adjustable.
- Cool temperatures slow the aging process, increasing the complexity and varietal character of the wine over time.
- Likewise, high temperatures speed the aging process, preventing a wine from developing complexity over time.
- Temperature fluctuations can cause wine to expand and contract, causing the cork to push out and pull in. This may loosen the cork and expose the wine to oxygen.
- Keep bottles away from direct sunlight, as it can prematurely age wine and adversely affect its flavor.
- Wine thrives best in a calm environment. Try to store it in an area with little vibration.
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820