Classic Series (BI) vs. Designer Series (IT, IC) Comparison
- What is the difference between a Classic (BI) unit and a Designer (IT, IC) unit?
- Selling point differences between Classic vs Designer models
- Selling features of Classic vs Designer models
- Designer versus Classic differences
The key differences between the Designer (IT, IC) and the Classic (BI) lines are as follows:
- Designer models have a more "seamless" look than Classic models. In other words, Designer units show less metal.
- The Designer line is more of a "cabinet" look. Designer units blend seamlessly into the kitchen.
- Designers typically select models from the Designer line, as the Designer look helps create a seamless kitchen.
- With Classic models, the presence of the refrigerator in the kitchen is more apparent.
- The Classic line expands on the traditional look that Sub-Zero has had for decades.
- If the unit will be freestanding, or the sides of the refrigerator will be partially exposed, Sub-Zero recommends the Classic line.
- To visually compare different models, refer to the Sub-Zero Refrigeration Product Page.
Feature and measurement differences:
|Available Widths||30”, 36”, 42”, 48”||24”, 30”, 36”|
27” available in ID-27R only.
(700 Series 27” models discontinued.)
|Unit Orientation||Over/under: One freezer drawer.|
Side by side: One door each side.
|Tall units: One door, two drawers.|
Column units: One door.
|Control Panel||Illuminated touch control.||Interactive touch screen control.|
|Compressor or Grille Location||Top of unit.|
Flip up for easy access.
|Bottom of unit.|
|Toe Kick||4” toe kick.||Panels can be sized for 4” or 6” toe kick.|
|Rough Opening Depth||24” for Standard.|
26 3/16” for Flush inset.
|25” for Designer look.|
|Reveal||Standard has no reveal.|
Flush inset has a ½” reveal.
|Side Panels||Stainless steel or custom option. Attachment instructions available.||Not available. No side panel attachment instructions available.|
|External Dispenser||Available on SD model.||Not available.|
|Matching Wine Storage Unit||WS-30, BW-30||IW Wine Storage|
|Same Side Hinge for Dual Installation||Minimum 2" filler recommended.||Can be placed side by side. No filler required.|
|Standard Installation||Can be installed standard.||Standard install not available.|
|Water Filter||All BI Series||Designer|
(700 and IC-27 Series did not have water filtration.)
|36" All Freezer Model?||BI-36F||IC-36FI|
|Glass Door Model?||BI-30UG, BI-36RG, BI-36RG||No Glass Door models.|
|Drawer Model?||Not available.||ID-30FI, ID-30RP, ID-36CI, ID-30RP,|
|Wrap-Around Stainless Steel Doors||All /S models|
(Unit comes from factory with stainless steel doors.)
(Stainless steel panels available as a sales accessory.)
|French Door Model?||BI-36UFD, BI-42UFD||Not available.|
|Spill-Proof Shelves||Framed glass contains small spills.||Nano-coated shelving prevents spills from spreading.|
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820