- Why is the door hard to open?
- Hard to open refrigerator or freezer door, seems to be frozen or stuck or locked closed or shut
- What causes the door vacuum to be so strong?
- Why do I have to use both hands to open the refrigerator door?
- Door does not open as easily as before?
- Is there any lubricant to use to lubricate the door from sticking so hard?
Steps to Verify Issue:
Wait 30 to 60 seconds after the door closes for pressure to equalize before reopening the door.
- This may be a normal condition as Sub-Zero products are designed for an airtight seal.
- Ambient room air mixed with the cold compartment air creates a vacuum until the pressure equalizes.
- The greater the difference in temperatures, the longer the vacuum may last.
- The refrigerator and freezer doors do not have a lock. Depending on the strength of the vacuum, it can seem like the door is locked.
If the door cannot be opened after staying closed for a minute, then:
- Open the door when possible and inspect the door gasket. Verify it is clean and not torn.
- Inspect the back wall of the refrigerator for condensation, frost, or ice buildup. See Frost on Back Wall.
- Check for Ice Buildup in the Freezer.
- Clean the Condenser.
- Remove the unit’s crisper drawer and crisper shelf assembly; if equipped, remove all lower storage drawers as well.
- If there is condensation, water, or ice near, behind, or underneath the drawer(s), check for food debris, standing water, or ice buildup in the drain trough or drain tube along the back wall. The drain trough and drain tube are visible on 200, 300, 500, or 600 Series Sub-Zero models.
- Clear the drain tube of any blockages.
- Avoid lubricating the plastic face frame of Classic, 400, 600, and 700 Series units. The face frame can crack or deteriorate when exposed to lubricants like Vaseline.
- If these troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue, service is necessary to expertly diagnose and repair the product. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
- See also:
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820