Sub-Zero Refrigerator or Freezer Light Switch Replacement
- Refrigerator or freezer lights do not work
- Lights will not turn on
- Light terminator shut lights off
- Lights only work if light switch is wiggled, flicked, moved
- All light bulbs replaced and the lights still do not work
- How to replace light switch, part number 7014646, 7004257, 7007259
- Function of the switch next to the light switch
- How many light switches are in the unit?
For initial troubleshooting before replacing a light switch, refer to:
- Sub-Zero Interior Lights Turned Off if multiple lights are off in the unit.
- Sub-Zero Light Bulbs for light bulb replacement information.
Sub-Zero Light Switch Replacement
If a light switch needs to be replaced, first determine the model. See also, Sub-Zero Serial Tag Locations.
Designer, PRO, and Undercounter Series Models:
Designer Series, Designer Wine Storage, PRO Series, and Undercounter Series units all require service to replace the light switch.
- Contact Factory Certified Service (FCS) to schedule an appointment for repair.
Classic, 700, 600, 500, 400, and 200/300 Series Models:
Other models, including Classic (BI) Series units, can sometimes be repaired without a technician.
- Side-by-Side units have light switches that are easy to replace without a service technician. Refer to the table below for part numbers and instruction sheets.
- Over/Under unit refrigerator switches are easy to repair. However, the freezer light switch requires service to replace. See also, Over/Under Unit Freezer Light Switch Location.
Part Numbers and Replacement Instructions
Genuine Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove parts are available by calling the Factory Certified Parts Distributor in your area.
- Use Locator to find the Parts Distributor for your area.
|Classic (BI) Series||7007259||Classic Series Light Switch Replacement|
|Designer Refrigeration (IT, IC, ID) Series||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|Designer Wine (IW) Series||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|Professional Refrigeration (PRO 48, PRO 36)||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|648PRO Refrigeration Series||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|UC Undercounter Series||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|700 Series Upper Cabinet and IC-27 Models||7004257||700 Series Light Switch Instructions|
|700 Series Drawers||N/A||Must be replaced by FCS|
|600 Series (excluding 601)||7014646||600 Series Light Switch Instructions and|
|500 Series (excluding 501)||7014646||Light Switch Instructions and|
|501 and 601 Models||7004257||501 and 601 Models|
See also, 501 and 601 Series Grille Removal
|424, 427 Models||7004257||7004257 - Light Switch Instructions|
|200 / 300 Series||7014646|
7014646 Light Switch Instructions and Photo of Switch Replacementor
7004257 - Light Switch Instructions
*The part number is the same for both the refrigerator and freezer switches. Contact a Factory Certified Parts Distributor to order parts.
Tips to Replace a Light Switch
- Light switch instructions do not come with light switches when shipped.
- Tools required are a Phillips head screw driver, T-20 Torx head screw driver, and pliers.
- Make sure there is no power to the unit by turning off the circuit breaker.
- The switch wires may be very tight depending on the age of the unit. Firmly pulling the wires by hand should remove them from the light switch.
- If necessary, carefully pull at the base of the wire with a needle-nose pliers to remove the wire from the light switch.
500 and 600 Series Models:
- The switch is above the unit behind the grille on the 500 and 600 Series models.
- The outer grille frame may need to be removed for complete access to switches. See also, 500 and 600 Series Grille Removal and Installation.
If the lights still do not work after replacing the bulbs and the switch, service is needed to expertly diagnose and repair the product. Contact Factory Certified Service to schedule an appointment for repair.
- Sub-Zero Refrigerator or Freezer Fan Switch Information for fan switch information
DID THIS ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?
We're standing by with answers
Whether you're shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we've got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820