- Fan blade or fan motor not working properly
- Ice build-up on the fan inside the freezer
- Obstruction due to over-filling the unit
- Normal operation
- Humming, vibrating, crackling, or sizzling noise from freezer, refrigerator, or wine storage
- Is humming, vibration, or grinding a normal operating sound?
- Is it safe to operate the unit if humming?
- Buzzing noise stops when drawer or door opened or knocking noise after a door or drawer is closed
- How to determine which fan motor is causing noise
- Glowing red inside freezer section
Steps to Verify Issue:
These steps assume a standard refrigerator and freezer combination unit. Adjust accordingly for all refrigerator, all freezer, or wine storage units.
To determine the source of noise:
- Open both the refrigerator and freezer doors or all unit doors to determine if the noise stops.
- Refer to Condenser Fan Motor Operation for additional information.
- Close only the refrigerator section door or upper door on a wine storage unit to see if the noise returns.
- If it does the noise is related to the refrigerator evaporator fan motor.
- Open the refrigerator door again and close only the freezer section door or wine storage unit drawer to see if the noise returns.
- If it returns, the noise is related to the freezer evaporator fan motor.
- The freezer fan is usually not visible, but ice may be.
- Close the doors after testing.
- Unusual fan noise may require inspection by Factory Certified Service.
- Refer to Clean the Condenser if it has not been cleaned in the last 6 to 12 months.
- If ice build-up is visible, defrost the section or area.
- In some models, it is possible to disable the freezer section to allow a manual defrost.
- See also:
- Ensure food packaging is not pushed up into refrigerator or freezer fan.
- Freezers go through normal defrost cycles, and moisture on or near a defrost heater can cause a sizzling or crackling noise.
- If any burning odor or other unusual symptoms accompany this noise, contact service.
- See also:
Refer to the product use and care guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you’re shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we’ve got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820