- What temperature should a refrigerator or freezer be set at?
- Number to set refrigerator or freezer to on the control dial
- Best temperature to set Wine Storage unit to
- Temperature range in freezer or refrigerator
- Change temperature setting
- Recommended temperatures
General Temperature Setting Information
- In products with an electronic control panel, the refrigerator set to 38°F (3°C) and the freezer set to 0°F (-18°C) are ideal food storage temperatures.
- Storing food above 45°F is not safe.
- Always allow 24 hours for unit to reach new temperature setting.
- If the unit will not maintain set temperature, refer to Warm Refrigerator Troubleshooting or Warm Freezer Troubleshooting for more information.
- For units running too cold, verify the proper temperature units (°F or °C) appear. Refer to Extremely Cold Temperature on Display for instructions to change the display temperature units (°F or °C).
Electronic Control Panel Display
The temperature range in a Sub-Zero with an electronic control panel is 34° - 45°F (1° - 7°C) degrees in the refrigerator and -5° to 5°F (-20° to -15°C) degrees in the freezer.
- In units with an electronic control panel, the factory settings of 38°F (3°C) in a refrigerator and 0°F (-18°C) in a freezer are ideal food storage temperatures.
- Wine Storage products have different temperature ranges to preserve wine, see Wine Storage Temperature Ranges.
- Setting the temperature higher or lower than factory settings causes the unit to run more or less, according to set temperature.
- It is not possible to set a temperature higher or lower than the range listed above.
Adjust the Temperature
The steps to adjust the temperature vary depending on the product family.
400, 600, 700, Classic (formerly Built-In), UC Undercounter, UW and BW Wine Storage, and 648PRO
- Press the colder or warmer key for the desired refrigerator or freezer section.
- Unit normally shows the actual temperature.
- When the colder or warmer key is pressed, unit will show the set temperature.
- After setting to desired temperature, display will return to actual temperature after 3 seconds.
- The temperature change is not immediate. Allow 24 hours for the unit to reach the set temperature. An audible beep occurs during this operation.
Classic Control Panel:
UW and BW Wine Storage Control Panel:
648PRO Controls and Display:
Designer (formerly Integrated) Refrigeration and Designer Wine Storage
- Touch the temperature to adjust.
- Touch + to increase or - to decrease the temperature until the desired temperature displays. The product saves the settings after the controls are not touched for 3 seconds.
Designer Control Panel:
See How to Set a Dial Control Refrigerator or Freezer for instructions and recommendations.
- Sub-Zero Temperature Fluctuations
- Wine Storage Temperature Range
- How Many Temperature Zones in a Unit
- Measure Temperatures in a Refrigerator or Freezer
- Sub-Zero Food Preservation Laminated Cards
Refer to the product Use and Care Guide for further information.
DID THIS ANSWER SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM?
Thank you for your request. A Customer Care representative will contact you.
An error occurred. We were unable to submit your request.
We're standing by with answers
Whether you’re shopping for appliances or have questions about those you already own, we’ve got the resources you need. Talk directly to a customer care expert at the Sub-Zero, Wolf, and Cove service center, or connect with an appliance consultant at an official showroom near you. Get quick answers online, or reach a certified service provider or installer. And much more.
Call us at (800) 222-7820